The Friends of the Highett Grassy Woodland was formed in 2003 to lobby for the protection of this unique vegetation.
We – with the backing of about 100 individuals and several groups – succeeded in getting:
- Experts to say how important it is
- Recognition of the vegetation as a State Government Biosite
- An official assessment by Biosis
Links to Biosis pdf documents (2004):
- Biosis Flora and Fauna Report of CSIRO Land (March 2004)
- Biosis-Fig2-Ecological Features CSIRO site (March 2004)
- Support by the Federal Environment Minister (and local member) David Kemp
- Commitment by the Federal Government to do some restoration and protect some of the woodland “in the longer term”
- McGauran Media Release (2004) – HOWARD GOVERNMENT TO CONSERVE LOCAL VEGETATION – (PDF Format)
- Rejection of a ‘concept’ of the site covered with housing
- Changes to Highett Structure Plan and the Bayside Planning Scheme to recognise the value of the Highett Grassy Woodland
- Rejection of straightening Graham Road to go through the woodland area
- Better set-backs from any development on what is NOW the VicUrban site to the south
With the pressure for development many of these gains could be lost!